Tuesday 22 November 2011

OUGD201 self evaluation

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Throughout this module I think I’ve developed in my ability to use colour within my design work, applying everything we’ve learnt about production for print fairly effectively in order to achieve some interesting results. I think I have also benefited from the type sessions, the skills from which I have been able to apply to any typographic layouts throughout this module. I think this will prove invaluable as I progress further into the course. Finally, the main thing I can take away from this module is a much greater appreciation for commercial print, both in the preparation of the design for print and in the processes themselves. Another skill I feel will prove invaluable moving forward.


2.  What approaches to/methods of print production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I think throughout this module I have had much more of an appreciation for the print production processes that I want to apply to my outcomes. Despite a lot of them not being available in college I was able to propose what I wanted and think about visuals before actually printing.Working with ideas on screen allowed me to be more creative when thinking about the resulting outcomes.



3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I think the main strength I can identify in my work for this module is visual consistency, and in branding this is very useful. I have been pleased with the majority of the artwork I’ve created and in how it has come together to make a whole body of products for the main brief. I think I can capitalise on this for any brief as it is usually important to have consistent visuals for a single body of design.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?  
I think the main weakness I can identify through this module is hand rendered work and my ability to work at a consistent pace throughout. I find that my motivation is unevenly spread throughout the module and seems to come into play towards the end of the module when the pressure is on. If I were working at a more consistent rate, giving myself daily goals to work towards I think I’d more likely get a more rounded body of work. 


5. Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what you expect to gain from doing these.
-       Try to stay motivated throughout the brief by setting myself regular goals and things to achieve in a restricted time. This will make me get on with the work earlier as I find that when I write to do lists I have more motivation.
-       Try to be decisive in the early stages to save myself from falling behind whilst deciding on concept.
-       Try to blog as soon as I do things in order to prevent work from piling up towards the end of the module when I could and should be getting on with more important elements of a brief.
-       Plan ahead in order to allow myself time to produce what I want to, for example preparing my screen earlier in screen print so that if anything should go wrong with it, it isn’t the day before the module hand in…
-       Use research more effectively in order to gain more extensive knowledge of printing processes and also processes available around college. This will allow me to plan my time better in order to fit in the processes I want, think before the production in order to book inductions/get drop-in when using college resources. 
    

6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas ?

Attendance     5
Punctuality    5
motivation     3
commitment   4
quantity of work produced     3
quality of work produced     3
contribution to the group     4


 

No comments:

Post a Comment