Wednesday 8 February 2012

OUGD202 Self-evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
The main skills I feel I have developed through this module have been software based and the ability to use an entirely new software package. Although not hugely competent in the production of work using After Effects, I think it is a very useful piece of software to understand and could have recurrence on future ability to gain jobs/placements etc, knowing something that a lot of other don't. Along with this comes put down skills, and drawing etc, getting back to hand rendering for story boarding was very useful and I feel I have gained a little in this sense too. I also feel I've gained a lot in terms of organisation, both during work on complex software packages like after effects but also in the production and presentation of that work. I've learnt to think much more logically and systematically when working on the computers, naming and organising files so that it doesn't become a problem in itself on top of the work. The collection and presentation of my work I think is also improving due to the use of the blog in this module being much different, with a lot of work going on that has the ability to look very cluttered and busy. Issuu and vimeo have both been abused however the outcome is a much more organised and clear blog than in previous modules.
Despite this, I think there's always room for improvement and by no means have I used these skills to their full potential, especially in terms of the software. I think moving away from working on a whole, and doing a lot of smaller tests may have benefited in the production of more effective final outcomes for both briefs.

What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process? 
Similarly to the last question, I feel the main approach to design production that I've developed through this module has been organisation as it has really helped speed up my development process. it also helps access work easily allowing you to see the development you're making. Furthermore, story boarding was very useful as it allowed visualisation of ideas on paper and gave much more direction moving through onto the software.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalised on them?
Strengths I could identify in my work, as normal tend to be the use of type. I really enjoy typography and it's something I try to get across in all my work, although I'm aware that the type in these sequences isn't anything special, I think it complements the visuals nicely. I also enjoyed making the packaging and took some time out of after effects to actually craft my sleeves. My design practice blog I think is also a little better than previous modules and I hope it will continue to do so throughout the rest of the second and third year.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future? 
Weaknesses I'd identify in my work from this module I'd say were my willingness to experiment and change the work I'd already produced. I felt I had something fairly strong visually and became a bit too focused on the images and animation of them, as opposed to the bits in between them, which is where I think my animation suffers, transitions. Had I been a bit more willing to experiment, I probably would have come up with something I was much more pleased with.

Identify five things you will do differently next time and what you expect to gain from doing these? 
- Try no to get caught up on producing what I had in mind, even if there is chance that I can better it. If it goes wrong it's not the end of the world I just need to be able to identify why it is and know how to change it.
- Try to keep on top of my context blogging, it has taken a back foot in this module where in the last it was almost a focus, I feel there can only be beneficial results from getting a lot of research.
- Aim to work more on paper in order to develop more informed and creative solutions to problems. I often find myself working on screen and not really knowing what I want to produce, taking a step back and working out on paper what I want to achieve always helps.
- As usual, time management, I feel I've become much better over the course of this module particularly because of the amount of work needed and the time spent on it, however it can always be improved. Especially towards the beginnings of a module.
- Write lists and be as organised in my approach to work as possible. These always help focus my effort and I think if I were to do this I'd be more productive with my time in the studio, so I will actually be able to go home and relax at some point.

Attendance  -  5
Punctuality  -    5
Motivation   -    4
Commitment  -    4
Quantity of work produced  -   3
Quality of work produced  -   4

No comments:

Post a Comment