Monday 14 February 2011

Photoshop development.

 This was my very first experiment with the photoshop postcards, in which I took a simple photograph of a cutting mat and altered the hue & saturation to make it red instead of green. I then used a simple typographic layout over the top, placed as an overlay layer, giving a subtle and interesting finish. Above is the typographic layout I used.

 These images are further developments of my initial postcard, taking the image shown in the background of the green cutting mat and further manipulating it. The first 2 screens I think are almost a step backwards from the initial idea, but I was simply testing the changing of the layer properties for the type from overlay to colour burn and different light effects. The screen directly above is my favourite as I like the dark effect created by the blue overlay, which I set to colour burn with the bright and highly saturated red coming through in the lines of the cutting mat. From this I think it is clear enough that my colour is red. Also the type sits nicely over this dark backdrop.
 These are developments from another photo, again with the initial altered image, with adjusted levels and type, to the colour burn blue overlay which I think I will apply to all of my postcards. This overlay changed the band of colour across the bottom from orange to red, which I think again makes it clearer that my colour is red.
 Above are three developments of a much more abstract image, taken under red and blue studio lighting during visual language sessions. These needed much less colour editing, with the first of the three screens being pretty much the original image. Again I looked at type layer alterations and a blue overlay on the last. It is much more subtle in this image than the previous 2 due to the blue lighting already in the image.

 These were two possible ideas for the back of my postcard. Looking at a picture I took of one of the studio lights. I altered the hue from a slightly blue tungsten light to a bright red, and in he second applied a blue overlay, however it had little effect on this image because of the lack of difference in tone.

 Above are a few variations on another photograph, again taken under blue and magenta studio lighting. I though it would be an interesting touch to try and make the 'm' of the 'cmyk' in the corner be the least predominant in all the images, implying that it blends in to the postcard. I prefer the second from bottom here as it is most obvious that it is red.


 For this image I had some problems getting the blue letter in the middle to look less imposing. Because the studio lighting had almost highlighted this I had to mask this part of the image in a separate layer and dim down the levels to make it darker, blending more into the background of the image.

 Here is a one of the last postcards I produced, looking at highlighting the curve and colour of the red m which is already fairly imposing. Intensifying the colours gave a much redder finish as opposed to the orange of the original and the type stands quite nicely off the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment