Monday 14 February 2011

Visual Language...book/magazine manipulation.

 We were each assigned a word and sent to the library to get a magazine that we could then manipulate, my word was tall. So I had to alter the magazine in a way the would portray the word tall. The first thing that came to mind was perspective, when looking at something tall, there is always going to be that visual element of it getting smaller as it went into the distance. The best way I could think to deal with this was to use the word tall, and make it get smaller towards the end giving it an element of perspective. Using type gives it a visual element that wouldn't be there if I were just to cut the magazine into a wedge shape, as if it were getting smaller. So I set out cutting the magazine into the word tall.
 Choosing a magazine 'cos it looked nice' was probably not a good idea in this instance as it was very difficult to make a clean cut through all the pages. I probably should have chosen a really rubbish, thin magazine.
I did want the magazine to stand up on the thicker end, as if it were a very tall building for example, so I removed one of the sides of the 'T' so that the bottom of the magazine could remain a fairly solid structure allowing it to stand...fingers crossed.



 Very time consuming business of cutting a counter into the 'A'. Also the spine was a particularly tricky part to get through cleanly. At the end of the session, although not quite finished, were had to leave our magazines with a piece of paper next to them and people then went round and tried to guess what word we were each given at the start. Although I thought mine was fairly obvious, most people put, really small, or stumpy.
 However after the session I carried on with the manipulation as I had enjoyed it very much, and was lucky enough to catch the sun shining through the window. I seized the moment and caught this spectacular image... and I think it looks tall now.   HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment