Tuesday 8 March 2011

Developments in concept.

I then moved on slightly from simple typographic opposites and tried to look more conceptually at the idea of opposites and how this could be used typographically. From playing around with my phone I remembered the old snake game on nokia phones and how the snake used to go off one side of the screen and come back on the opposite side. I thought this was a recognisable game for almost any audience, however the link between it and opposites may not be particularly strong. Despite this I carried it as an idea because of possibilities with interesting type.

 This image shows how I began working with the idea of snake. Taking on board my experience of snake, on a pale blue screen with a darker blue snake. I then went about attempting to create the type without breaking the line from this point.

Here are my results from trying to create a snake like aesthetic. Although the idea is there I don't think I've exactly captured the essence of the movement of the snake. and it almost becomes quite confusing to read as it is not exactly clear which side the snake is coming from or going to.
This shows a look at another route to create the type from the snake game. This one I dropped because I thought it became illegible too quickly and I also didn't know where to go from the point at which I took the screenshot as I could go back on myself.
After a few doodles trying to establish the best route I chose to go with the bottom one as it was the one that was most legible and used only one line to create.





This series of screens shows the development of the snake type...there are a few minor problems however I think it works quite nicely and is still a viable idea for my final typographic submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment