Friday 11 May 2012

Moving on the Logo

After the crit it became clear that the names I had gone with for the event were a little unclear, one 'immovable type' due to the link between type history and typography not being clear to most of the crit group. The other, because the logotype, created using the phonetic appearance of the word typography was a little too abstract to understand, or make the link directly to the word typography.


This was the logo I was most interested in using myself as I felt that visually it could work really well across a range of promotional material, and would really give my event a distinct visual character. So I looked at ways to create a similar aesthetic with a more understandable term. In doing this I looked at translations of the word typography in different languages and into the origin of the word typography in the English language. Our word typography is thought to originate from the French word 'typographie' which itself came from the modern latin 'typographia' and the two greek terms (typos) & (graphe) meaning form & writing respectively.

The conclusion I came to was to use the word typographia, hinting at the history of typography aswell as giving a stronger visual link to our own word. Then to apply similar aesthetics as the phonetic alphabet, in order to keep the visual quality that I liked from the first example. 


Above is the result, showing progression from the original term to the final result. I also took out the 'ph' and replaced it with an 'f' in order to take advantage of the visuals created by the ligatures possible between 'f' and 'i' in most fonts. This example is in Helvetica bold, however the idea is to apply it to my final visuals in each of the ten fonts chosen for the final exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment