Tuesday 15 May 2012

Talk posters explained.

to promote each of the six talks proposed at the typografia event, I created a poster. I aimed to get something about each of the designer or agencies talking into the design of the poster. Some links are fairly tenuous and some more obvious however I am pleased with these posters overall as they are all very different aesthetically yet remain recognisable as a whole.

The first is the poster I designed for the A2/SW/HK talk. The format I had chosen for these posters was A1, so it felt relevant that I used this format as part of the posters design. I took the scale of an A2 document and laid out the majority of the imformation, especially that about the agency within this space. I placed the largest part of the design, the title of the event, in the space outside this area. In fitting with other designs I had previously done for this I split the word typografia in two, using the edge of the marked out A2 poster as a visual guide. I tried to make clear exactly what I was trying to portray by marking the outside of the A2 area as A1.

This is one of the more tenuous links that I previously mentioned however, because Maag is a type designer it was fairly difficult to get much visual reference about his work. So in the design of this poster I tried to make a link to the well known fact that Maag despises helvetica. Helvetica had been the basis for a lot of my designs and was also the face I was using for the events logotype, although I had applied this in many other faces throughout the promotion. So for this poster I did use the logotype in helvetica, but I used a very similar shade of red to the stock, and then placed the majority of the information over the top. This was based on the idea that Maag would want as little helvetica on the page as possible...however whether that comes across I'm not entirely sure.

Above is the poster I did for the Simon Esterson talk. This is another of these design that I quite like, and uses a grid to make reference to layout. Esterson is prolific in the field of editorial and magazine design so I figured that a grid would be something he is very familiar with. It also provides fairly nice visuals despite being something that is very often ignored within designs. This also the first of all the designs in which I went for the single column stacked info under the typographic circle logo. Originally I had placed this in a single line all the way along the bottom of the poster, however I felt in this case it gave a bit more balance to the layout. I then went on to apply this to all the talk posters in order to give a more coherent and recognisable result.

I went with this layout for MadeThoughts poster as I felt that they had a very simplistic and communication based ethic, reminiscent of that applied by modernist designers during the period of the international typographic style. Although much of their work is not aesthetically related to this movement, the element of communication before decoration I think is one that comes across within their work, a reason that it's so effective. I applied a layout similar to that of many posters during the modernist design era, making use of precisely laid out design elements whilst remaining visually intriguing from being placed diagonally.

For Anthony Burrills talk poster I looked into his style of work, which is based around bold and simple messages, conveyed in a manor that seems to shout it at the viewer. Burrills are more often than not, letter pressed or screen printed to give a handmade element to their production. I have taken an attempt at a similarly witty message to promote Burrills talk, with a similarly bold use of type. However I have used the layout at the bottom of the poster to keep it visually consistent with the rest of the posters for the event.

Finally is this poster I produced for Patrick Burgoynes talk at the typografia event. Burgoyne has been the editor for creative review since the late 90s so I felt this was a fairly substantial part of his career as a designer so far. I used his initials in a similar format to the creative review logo and placed it within a square along with the name of the talk he was giving. I feel this is the simplest, most effective and most developed of the talk posters as this is the last one I produced. I will most probably look into printing this one out of the six here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing such informative post. Posters is an important and effective way to advertise any business. Advertise you business with adshel posters in Sydney can help to attract audience more easily.

    ReplyDelete